Sunday, April 12, 2009

Janda Baik Ride, Apr 4, 2009

I was very sure I was not going to do the Genting Sempah Janda Baik Genting Sempah ride when I was on the way home that night until Along called. The call presented me with my ‘magic act’ for Saturday. I communicated earlier to my cycling buddies that unless I could pull off a magic act I would not be able to join them. The news from Along was that Lan wanted to join me for the ride which meant the possibility of me going for the ride in his car. So when I drove home from the station I stopped at his gerai to negotiate. It was a done deal from the beginning as Lan did not mind driving and would pick me up at home around 0630 the next morning. The other part of the plan was for Baqir to drive Kak CIk and himself to their sport day in our Ranger. Of course Baqir few days after getting his license would be very glad to drive. But I warned him no showing off, especially on the road. Back at home I told my plan to Sam and I was set for Janda Baik.

Lan came at 0649 and we left as soon as we packed my bike in the Kancil. I was prepared for being late but when we were on the highway I knew we would be on time.

At 3 minutes to half past 8 we pulled up at Genting Sempah parking area and immediately saw the others were there already. We were told another two persons were still on the way. Straight away we unloaded and get the bikes ready for the ride. Five minutes later the other two arrived and after our customary photo session rolled down towards Janda Baik along the old Gombak Bentong road. It was really rolling down and effortlessly we just relaxed and let the gravity took us down. Of course my mind was already thinking of the return ride. It was going to be a long climb up and presumably if we delay our departure would be cycling back under a hot sun. Later Dr Taufik told us from Genting Sempah to Janda Baik was actually a 100 meters drop. Once we reached at the junction to Janda Baik began the see saw right up and down to Janda Baik. The first climb was moderately long that took some of us by surprised. We stopped waiting to regroup and down again to encounter another long climb. It was like that until we reached the end of Janda Baik.

The end of Janda Baik means the beginning of a jungle trek. On our left was the nice, clear flowing stream that I had fought hard to resist and on our right was a Chilly Farm. We were told that the farm was cultivated by a Chinese farmer. Obviously the Malay owner does not know what to do with the land. We rested and chat for about 20 minutes before we turned back to stop at Andak’s Place for breakfast. What interesting about this place is that it is run by two entrepreneurial young men who know what they are doing. They installed a WIFI network there and served ready made menu of nasi lemak, mee hon goring, the like and other la carte dishes. Because I knew I would be able to ride back properly if I had heavy breakfast I just had two buns. If would have been excellent if they had a bit of American or Continental breakfast. Well not the whole enchilada but those that we Malaysian would normally prefer. Apart from us cyclists there were a group of high-powered bikers with their BMWs having breakfast.

At around 11 am we left the Andak’s Place and took another route around Janda Baik back to Genting Sempah. The route was beautiful but I decided not to stop to take any photos as I was seriously concentrating on my cycling. We passed another stretch of training resorts, picnic areas as well as beautiful homes. The terrain also took us through several hills which was very good for our MTB endurance ride. We had our last rest in front of a gate of a resident on top of steep hill before we hit the road all the way back to Genting Sempah. We went downhill first to exit at the junction to the main road out of the Janda Baik that we came in. At this stage we got the taste of the long climb ahead. I pressed hard and maintained my momentum to get me going up without stopping. At this juncture Lan decided to take off and flew by me to leave all of us struggling at the back. We only met Lan again at Genting Sempah. I stayed focus on finishing and eventually we reached the Janda Baik Bentong Genting Sempah junction which means from there on would be climbing all the way to Genting Sempah. Thinking about it alone would make you want to stop there and walk up or hitchhiked on the occasional one ton trucks that were passing by. Jokingly I said to myself no pain no gain greeted my teeth and pedaled hard up. I dropped to lowest gear and push it up whenever I got my rhythm. In cyclist term I was spinning myself up. I was just riding my own ride without thinking much about the others. If you had been on this stretch of road you know that the climb would take us climbing maneuvering through tight corners as well. My colleagues kept on passing and dropping by me. However, halfway through the climb I felt a surge of energy from no where and I pushed the gear up and started to speed passing few of my colleagues. I was really surprised by what I did and I kept going and I knew, despite seeing two of my colleagues resting by the roadside, I could not stop now and had to finish the climb. By that time the sun was already high and straight on top of our heads. It was really hot and the only help we got was the cool breeze blowing up from the valley down our right. Because of my torn saddle my butt was already going to give up on me. No pain no gain he he he. Looking down below at the Karak Highway with the Bukit Tinggi valley as the background on my right was a sight to enjoy while riding. I guess that was my booster. Rounding the last corner about 200 meters to the Genting Sempah rest area my younger colleague overtook me and I immediately fell directly behind him and tailed him pulling me up to the end game of the day.

What a ride and it was the best so far for me. I’ll definitely do it again and with two more runs like that I would be ready for Gombak Genting Sempah or even Bentong Genting Sempah. The good indicator for me was that my heart rate only beeped once during the hard climb.

Pictures click here

No comments: